Your vehicle’s paint is made up of a primer layer, a base coat, and the last coat, which is a clear coat layer. The deep, shine, gloss comes from the clear coat.
If you choose not to protect the clear coat, the exterior of your car is going to start to deteriorate very quickly.
Your vehicle is exposed to all kinds of elements, such as UV rays from the Sun, dirt, debris and salt from the road.
All these elements are going to damage, fade and cause your car’s paint to be oxidized, leaving your car looking old and dingy.
The perfect protection for your car’s paint is a ceramic coating. The best car ceramic coating contains silica dioxide, which is an incredibly hard glass polymer.
In this car ceramic coating review, we have discussed ten top products. Each of these products can give your car an exceptional deep gloss.
Click to View Post Navigation
- Best Ceramic Coat Car Paint Protection Comparison table
- What is Ceramic Coating?
- Top 10 Best Car Ceramic Coating Reviews 2019
- 1. Armor Shield IX Do It Yourself (DIY) Kit
- 2. Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat
- 3. Color n Drive Car Ceramic Coating Kit
- 4. Mothers CMX Ceramic Spray Coating
- 5. CarPro Cquartz 50 ml Kit
- 6. Nano Bond Ceramic Coating Pro Premium Kit
- 7. Ethos Car Care Ceramic Wax
- 8. Mercu 9H Nano Super Ceramic Coating
- 9. Shield One Advanced Nano Hydrophobic Coating
- 10. Gyeon Quartz Q² Syncro Ceramic Coating Kit
- Factors to Consider before buying the Best Ceramic Coatings for Car
- Facts about Ceramic Coating
- Frequently Asked Questions – Ceramic Coating
Best Ceramic Coat Car Paint Protection Comparison table
What is Ceramic Coating?
A ceramic coating is silica based, durable, protective product that goes on the exterior of your car’s surface to protect it for extended periods of time.
Ceramic coatings can be composed of silicon carbide, titanium dioxide, chrome oxide, tungsten carbide, zirconium oxide, and alumina oxide to mention a few.
How Does Ceramic Coating Work?
Once you apply the best ceramic car coating to the surface of your car, it will bond and create a surface that is harder than the factory clear coat.
You have a carrier fluid that contains nano particles. These miniature particles generate an unbreakable link with your car’s clear coat that can’t easily be washed away.
What Does Ceramic Coating Do for Cars?
There are a number of things that the best ceramic coating for car can do for your car. Here is a walkthrough of what a good quality treatment can do for your vehicle.
- Weather protection
- Scuff and marring resistance
- A barrier against water damage, corrosion, oxidation and UV rays
- Permanent Gloss and shine
- Doesn’t give in easily to chipping, cracking or peeling
- Chemical resistance
- Easy to clean and stays cleaner for longer
- Comes in a range of surface finishes and colors to suit a particular application
Top 10 Best Car Ceramic Coating Reviews 2019
1. Armor Shield IX Do It Yourself (DIY) Kit
Armor Shield IX from Avalon King is the ultimate solution if you want to achieve the best clear coat for cars.
The kit comes complete with a 30 ml bottle of Armor Shield IX, a microfiber buffing towel, an applicator suedes x3, an application sponge, and professional nitrile gloves.
This protective shield uses advanced nanotechnology to deliver the top car ceramic coating. It forms a scratch-resistant glass-like layer above your clear coat.
The nanoparticles of the Armor Shield IX are so small that when applied to a surface they seal all the pores. They form a completely invisible sacrificial layer.
Mud, dirty rain or just regular driving will have your car dirty in no time. Once you apply this product, your car is protected.
The protective coating acts as a sacrificial layer for small scratches. This means your actual car paint is not damaged, and any scratches on the surface are easily buffed off.
The protective shield is ultra-hydrophobic, meaning water does not gather but forms droplets. The surface is also self-cleaning; so, bird droppings and dirt are easily washed off.
The Armor Shield IX deflects harmful UV radiations completely and protects your paintwork. Snow and ice accumulate on top of the surface and easily washed off.
Things We Didn’t Like
The warranty of two years seems short. This indicates that the effective life of the coat is probably less than a couple of years.
2. Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat
The Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat is an advanced three-in-one product. It is a waterless car wash, polymer paint sealant, and hydrophobic coat polish.
What makes this product special is the fact that you can use it on any exterior surface of your car, boat, four wheeler, RV, or boat.
The unique blend of SiO2 ceramic coating and surfactants make this product the perfect nano ceramic coating for cars.
The Shine Armor uses a chemical blend to accomplish the work of cleaning your car without added water.
Surfactants in the blend reduce the surface tension of the wetting agents. However, it is most effective for cars that are only mildly dirty or keeping your car clean through waterless washings.
This product forms a quick ceramic coat that gets rid of grease, grime and dirt instantly. Self-cleaning is at a premium with this formulation.
The invisible protective layer is resistant to scratching, smearing and streaking. The layer is also effective, gentle and shiny.
The Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat offers an easy to wipe-off or spray-on application. Surface prepping is a must to get a shiny and glossy finish.
If you are new to car detailing, then this is the ideal quick ceramic wax. It is as simple as gushing the formula on your car’s paintwork and wiping it away.
Things We Didn’t Like
You are most likely to receive the product without the spray head. You may also receive a defective bottle with a loose cap.
- ADVANCED FORMULA 3 IN 1. Our fortify quick coat is your all in one ceramic coating hydrophobic spray. Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat car wax provides a waterless wash, coat and shine, all in one convenient product.
- NO STREAKING, SMEARING OR SCRATCHING. Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat premium formula ceramic car coating is a gentle and effective car polish for any vehicle! Get a clean, shiny finish without hurting your car's paint.
- CUTS DIRT, GRIME & GREASE. Our Quick Coat ceramic wax car sealant eliminates dirt, grime & grease instantly! Our signature 3-in-1 formula gives you a waterless car wash, coat and shine for a clean, showcase look.
- SAFE FOR ALL SURFACES. Use this car wax spray on automobiles, boats, motorbikes, RVs, four wheelers and more! This spray wax is the perfect blend of surfactants and SiO2 ceramic-coating science.
3. Color n Drive Car Ceramic Coating Kit
If you are looking for nano bionic self-cleaning technology, you should look no further than the Color n Drive Car Ceramic Coating Kit.
The kit comes complete with a pretreatment solution, the ceramic coating, coated sponges, gloves, polishing microfiber, and spreading microfiber.
The new nano bionic technology has superior self-cleaning effects. The super hydrophobic nano particles do a great job of repelling stains and water.
The included pretreatment solution helps to prep the surface for superior adhesion and enhanced blister and corrosion resistance.
This is one of the best 9H ceramic coatings on the market. It forms a strong sacrificial layer that does an excellent job of resisting scratching. You do not need multiple coats.
The condensed nanoparticles have exceptional cross linking properties. The cross linking ensures you get a high gloss flexible finish.
The 9H coating has other unique protective features, including anti-calcium, antistatic, anti-acid rain, antifouling, and anti-UV.
The brand also offers you a risk-free investment that includes a 100 percent money-back guarantee. You get a refund if you are not satisfied with the results.
Things We Didn’t Like
There is no warranty information that can ascertain how long the formula will be effective. You will just have to find out its effective life span on your own.
- FOR A FLAWLESS LOOK: You can now keep your car looking perfect at all times with this unique ceramic coating paint sealant. The car polish will provide your car paint with a protective top coat that will keep it safe from scratches, bird drops, stone chips, iron powder and UV light fading. It will also leave a stunning shiny gloss finish for impressive results. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS PRODUCT IS GENUINE CERAMIC COATING, NOT 5% SIO2 CONCENTRATION CHEAP MAINTENANCE SPRAY
- LONG LASTING RESULTS: The car ceramic coating uses 9H nano technology that will provide you with unique durability. This way the gloss coat will stay flawless for up to 5 years. The paint sealant is hydrophobic and can keep your car clean for longer as well as make it easier to clean. It can also stay intact for up to 100-150 washes.
- EASY TO APPLY: Forget about other car paint sealants that are difficult to apply and to get right. The Color N Drive car ceramic coating was specially formulated for easy use so you can have flawless results with no hassle. It is also very easy to correct any mistakes and details. And the best part? The car polish kit is so great that it will not even need multiple coatings for your convenience!
- AMAZING KIT: The ceramic coating kit will provide you with everything you'll need for amazing and long-lasting results. In the box you will find a spray bottle and an additional bottle, which are enough for polishing 2 cars with 2 coatings. We also provide you with a premium coated sponge for perfectly even application with no scratches.
- RISK-FREE PURCHASE: We are certain that you will love this car paint sealant as much as we do. In fact, we are so confident that we offer you a 100% money back guarantee. So if for any reason you are not completely satisfied with our product, we will give you a full refund with no questions asked! Just let us know and we'll be more than happy to help you out.
4. Mothers CMX Ceramic Spray Coating
The Mothers CMX Ceramic Spray Coating is a game-changer. It is probably the only ceramic spray coating that features advanced nanotechnology.
This product is derived from silicon dioxide as well as titanium dioxide. The titanium reflects visible light, scatters and absorbs UV, and does not react with your paint finish.
It helps to encapsulate dirt and prevent scratching, while the SiO2 lays down a layer of long-lasting protection.
These two main ingredients, along with the other polymer binders, are what gives the silicon dioxide coat its unique properties.
The SiO2 component of Mother CMX fills in any minor imperfections in your paintwork. So, minor scratches and blemishes are leveled instantly.
It is the leveling effect that gives you that unmatched depth and shines on your paint job. The SiO2 and TiO2 form a semi-permanent layer of protection.
Its hydrophobic properties are impressive. Instead of water molecules flowing on the surface, they form droplets that are easily cleaned off.
Mothers CMX is a simple spray and wipe off formula that delivers a glossy shine. It works great on aluminum, metals and other hard surfaces.
Things We Didn’t Like
Crystal dusting seems to be quite annoying when applying to black paintwork. It is also not the best formula to use on glass parts of your car.
- Offers ultra-durable, super-hydrophobic protection
- Powerful blend of SiO2 (Silicon Dioxide) and TiO2 (Titanium Dioxide)
- Provides ultra long-term protection from the elements and continuous water beading
- Easy to use; just spray on and wipe off
- Use as a stand-alone product, or as a booster over your existing sealant or ceramic coating
5. CarPro Cquartz 50 ml Kit
If you are looking for a hydrophobic, heavy-duty semi-permanent coating, you should look no further than the CarPro Cquartz 50 ml Kit.
This amazing product is formulated for use in damp climates where most conventional ceramic coating technologies typically struggle.
The formulation features a fast flashing carrier that improves curing in extreme conditions. The high amount of silica-quartz generates a purer and harder glass layer.
The enhancements allow you to apply this formulation in temperatures that are as low as five degrees Celsius. You still get the protection and beauty you wished for.
The unique blend of 99.9 percent purity, resistance and 70 percent quartz ensure the surface stays clean. The surface is highly protected from traffic films, stains, bird dropping, and UV.
The molecules in this product are non-polar, while water molecules are polar. As a result, water molecules are attracted to each other, forming droplets instead of spreading on your paintwork.
The hydrophobic layer formed is also anti-static. Dirt and dust particles are less likely to be attracted to the surface; instead, they are dropped off.
The fact that this product is a reliable choice for professional installers means that it is a good choice for your car.
Things We Didn’t Like
It comes with a significantly shorter expiry period, which doesn’t make sense. Warranty information is not provided; you can’t correctly tell how long it will last.
- PROFESSIONAL CERAMIC COATING - Protection and gloss superior to that of competitor "professional coatings" but easy to use for all detailers. Kit includes 50 ml. CQuartz, Applicator, 5 Suede Microfiber Cloths
- CQUARTZ FINEST - 70% Quartz with 99.9% purity - Resistance to wash induced marring, bird dropping damage, stains, high or low temperatures, and traffic film
- NANOTECHNOLOGY COATING - Enhanced Fast Action Formula that makes applying cQuartz with the least effort and without any complicated machine
- PREFERRED AND USED BY PROFESSIONALS: Advance formula to protect and prolong coating/painting. The CarPro Cquartz 50 ml Kit is widely used by professionals and car enthusiasts around the world
- Amazon A to Z Guarantee: The CarPro Cquartz 50 ml Kit is covered with Amazon A to Z Guarantee
6. Nano Bond Ceramic Coating Pro Premium Kit
The Nano Bond ceramic Coating Pro Premium Kit features state-of-the-art nanotechnology that offers the ideal protection and slickness you have been looking for.
This is unlike any other product you have come across. It features a transparent chemical that is made up of nano particles.
When you apply the formulation on your car’s paintwork, the nano molecules form a strong bond with the clear coat. It forms a very reliable sacrificial layer.
This new formula is made up of over 80 percent pure SiO2 content. It protects longer, looks better and goes on four times faster than a conventional sealant.
SiO2 is one of the most abundant minerals on the planet earth. Just like glass, the SiO2 imparts a glassy look to the clear coat of your car.
Another unique feature that makes this product exceptional is the extraordinary hydrophobic water beating action.
The hydrophobic feature has a self-cleaning effect that keeps your car looking better. It protects the clear coat against bird droppings, mud and any other elements.
We were also impressed by how the protective layer resisted scratching during a detailed hardness test. However, it is not completely scratch-proof.
The kit comes complete with the liquid ceramic coat, a pair of gloves, a microsuede applicator, a microfiber towel, and a sponge block.
Things We Didn’t Like
It is a China-made product; so, it may not be suitable for those who prefer US-made coatings. It may be a little bit tough to apply for beginners.
- NEW Formula with over 80% pure SiO2 content
- NEW Upgraded micro suede applicator clothes
- Nano Bond ceramic coating PRO kit provides your car with excellent protection from the environment
- Super Hydrophobic
- Easy to apply and will provide a great shine and slick surface
7. Ethos Car Care Ceramic Wax
The Ethos Car Care Ceramic Wax is a very exciting product. It is the industry-leading product that bridges the gap between a carnauba wax and a ceramic coating.
If you are looking for long-term durability of up to twelve months, you can find it in this ceramic wax formulation.
You can apply it in the form of carnauba wax, which means the easy application and no fear of damaging your car’s paint finish.
The Ethos ceramic wax is a great formula to protect your car from the environment as well as make maintenance of your car very easy.
There is no need for weekly or monthly detailing because this product is highly durable compared to conventional waxes.
The finish produces an ultra-slick feel and mirror-like reflections. This durable finish protects your car’s paint surface from UVA, UVB and bird droppings.
This product helps to keep the surface protected even when the paint finish has been damaged by providing a water-repelling layer that prevents wetting.
This formula is also plastic-friendly. This means you can use it on your headlights to prevent oxidation. However, it may not be the best choice for ageing plastic parts.
Things We Didn’t Like
The manufacturer hasn’t stated the level of SiO2 used in this product. The durability of the product is roughly twelve months, yet the brand claims it has 9H hardness.
- NEW AND IMPROVED FORMULA!: Using the latest in Ceramic technology, we have formulated a Liquid Ceramic Wax with 3X the durability, shine and protection of traditional waxes. We are so confident this will be the last wax you buy, we 100% guarantee it!
- EASY APPLICATION: Simply apply by hand or machine, wipe on and buff off residue! No professional experience or tools required!
- CERAMIC LEVEL PROTECTION: Our infused ceramic coating technology provides unmatched protection, shine and clarity! We will never compromise our products ingredients!
- INCREDIBLE GLASS LIKE SHINE: Stunning mirror like reflections and ultra slick feel! Protects your automotive paint surfaces from bird droppings, water spots, contaminants and UVA/ UVB rays. Hydrophobic surface makes cleaning and maintenance a breeze!
- 5 STAR RESULTS GUARANTEED: If you are not receiving 5 star results please contact us to troubleshoot your application or preparation of the surface. Ceramic Wax is a professional sealant and will produce year round results when applied correctly. This is a paint sealant Product. Wax will protect and enhance the shine you currently have. If you have dull, oxidized, or scratched finish you will need a polish to address those issues.
8. Mercu 9H Nano Super Ceramic Coating
The Mercu 9H Nano Super Ceramic Coating is a breakthrough in a new face of coating technologies in the automotive community.
It is a ceramic-based nano technology, which offers much harder and longer durability than typical glass coating.
Unlike wax, sealant or any other usual glass coating, the Mercu is an advanced nano compound that bonds strongly with your car’s paint job.
When you apply this product on your paintwork, it creates binding energy, which strengthens the clear coat molecular bonding for effective protection.
The unique formulation of this product has enabled it to be multi-layered, which substantially increases the overall coating thickness.
As a result, it generates an advanced protective ceramic layer with better scratch resistance features. Sharp particles will be prevented from damaging your car’s paint.
The Mercu finish has incomparable anti-graffiti and hydrophobic properties. The superior water-repellency ensures that water droplets, grime, and dirt are all washed off the surface.
This is also a good ceramic coating for wheels thanks to its anti-grime and anti-dirt properties. However, surface prepping is very critical.
Things We Didn’t Like
The nano particles tend to dry quickly. Therefore, this formula may not be the best choice for a novice detailer or DIY.
- [SCRATCH RESISTANCE]:Anti sratch 9H hardness, with the hardness of super hydrofobowa glass coating. Its unique technology helps achieve a thick coating, the sacrifical coated on the surface can be used as a coat of the barrier.
- [CAR SURFACE PROTECTOR]:After painting with this product, a protective layer will be covered on car body.It could protect your car body against acid rain,salt fog corrosion, rust, oil stains, sap, bird dropping permeation, bugs,some scratches, bird droppings, corrosive traffic film, tar and harmful UV rays and more.
- [EASY TO USE]:We have made an offical instruction video and application steps, please check it below Q&A and Review Comments. Wrap the cloth over coating sponge; Put coat liquid on the cloth; Spread the liquid on the car; Use towel to wipe and polish sponge over the coated fabric
- [Brightening]: After use this car liquid ceramic, the surface of car will forming a layer of crystals, like a mirror, forming a mirror full reflection effect, make it brightening 2 times
- [NOTE]: included 30ml Car Coating Ceramic and a Sponge. Kindly Note: lease do not touch or wet treated surface in next 12 hours; If you wanna remove it, use POLISH WAX will be ok.
9. Shield One Advanced Nano Hydrophobic Coating
The Shield One Advanced Nano Hydrophobic Coating is one of the most advanced formulations for protecting marine and automobile surfaces.
This product is chemical resistant, harder and more durable compared to a factory gel coat or clear coat.
It provides exceptional protection against harmful UV radiation, industrial contamination, bird droppings, tree sap, swirl marks, and minor scratches.
With the hard protective layer, your paintwork will not age or fade due to UV, harmful chemicals or the elements.
The nanoparticles are suitable for filling the smallest openings in your car paint. It develops extremely slick, smooth and shiny characteristics.
The hydrophobic properties of this product are incredible. It beats water on any surface it is applied to, including paint, leather, fabric and glass.
Self-cleaning properties allow for easy maintenance. The coating greatly reduces expenses and time associated with ongoing maintenance and care.
This nano coating allows for multiple application. Apart from ceramic paint coating, you can use it as a clay bar lubricant and a glass cleaner. Also, you can apply it on computer monitors.
Things We Didn’t Like
No information on SiO2 levels or manufacturer warranty. Basically, there is no way to tell how long the coating will last.
- ADVANCED POLYMER PROTECTION, Shield your car from water, dirt, and other contaminants that can scratch and dull its surface. The Shield One Advanced Nano Hydrophobic Coating forms strong polymer links at the molecular level. So your car stays protected longer.
- SHOWROOM QUALITY SHINE, With a quick application of this advanced nano paint coating, keep your car looking like it has just step out of the showroom. Your car not only looks shiny but its color also stands out.
- DIRT AND WATER REPELLENT, Working at the molecular level, the nano coating forms a tight bond that's smooth and even. Thus, water and dirt roll off the surface effortlessly. Say goodbye to laborious cleaning.
- ALL IN ONE PROTECTION, Besides painted surfaces, this automotive nano coating can also be applied on glass, plastic components, and wheels. Protect your car exterior and interior with just one car care product.
- MULTIPLE APPLICATION, This nano paint coating for cars also works as a glass cleaner and clay bar lubricant. Apply it on windows, computer monitors, mobile phone glass, and more.
10. Gyeon Quartz Q² Syncro Ceramic Coating Kit
Are you in search for an advanced and user-friendly nano coating kit for your car? Look no further than the Gyeon Quartz Q² Syncro.
Even though it is the last product in this car ceramic coating review list, the Gyeon Quartz Q² Syncro is an exceptional choice for both DIY enthusiasts and professional installers.
This is a two-part system that consists of a base coat and a topcoat. It uses two layers of MOHS solution for base coating and SKIN solution for top coating.
You have the Q2M Cure, which is a maintenance product. Also, you get an applicator and eight suede cloths.
Unlike most conventional products, the Gyeon Quartz Q² Syncro allows for multilayer application, which ends with a layer of the Q2 Skin solution.
The advanced silicone based Skin topcoat provides unmatched hydrophobicity and incredible slickness. No contaminants or water will stick to the surface.
Overall, the Q2 Mohs base coat is super smooth, and the Q2 Skin top coat is slick and glossy. The two coats combined provide durability that will last more than twenty four months.
Things We Didn’t Like
We were particularly concerned about the Q2M cure. According to the tests we conducted, the cure didn’t add any significant performance value.
- Q² SYNCRO is the most advanced 2 part coating system developed for enthusiast and professional use, outside of the GYEON Certified Detailer Program.
- Q² SYNCRO uses 2 layers of Q² MOHS as the Base Coating and introduces the all new Q² SKIN as a Top Coat. Q² SKIN is a true additional layer of coating, delivers its own unique gloss, is ph tolerant from 2-11, and is chemical resistant.
- The Q² SKIN Top Coat has one very unique property: it delivers an incredibly slick surface that repels dirt and contaminant and minimizes the friction between your wash mitt and the paint.
- Easy to apply, while delivering a professional coating experience to all customers outside the Certified Detailer Program
- Before you start applying make sure that the surface is oil free and completely dry. It is recommended to wash the car with Q²M Bathe, use Q²M Iron and Q²M Tar to remove impurities and degrease with Q²M Prep.
Factors to Consider before buying the Best Ceramic Coatings for Car
You have done your research. You know what the best ceramic coating for cars entails. In the next chapter, we are going to guide you on choosing the right coating for your vehicle.
Generally, all the coatings are formulated to protect your car in the same way. All ceramic coatings are durable, shiny and last longer than conventional wax or sealant.
However, they are going to vary on their thickness, slickness, durability, longevity, and gloss.
Are you living in a hot neighborhood? If you are, you need the best car paint protection to ensure the surface is not damaged by the scorching sun.
The best ceramic coating should be able to protect your car from oxidation and harmful ultraviolet light.
If you are currently living in coastal areas, we suggest you get a product with exceptional hydrophobic, anti-corrosion and anti-UV light properties.
You might also need a waterproof liner if you are living in a region that receives a lot of rainfall. You may not need a ceramic coating if you are living in cold areas.
Age of Your Car
This is one of the most overlooked factors in the automotive community. Age of your car matters, if you consider the long and challenging process of ceramic coating.
It may take you forever to prepare the surface of your car for coating. Not to mention that it might be costly to get it done at a mechanic shop.
It is not advisable to use the ceramic coating on an aging car with thin or chipped paint. The chemicals that make up the product will most certainly damage the bodywork of your car.
Dealership Paint Coating vs Professional Ceramic Coating vs DIY
Dealership Paint Coating
Most dealerships have in-house coatings that they offer for a very high price. The coatings usually come with a lifetime warranty.
Most dealership paint coatings are not truly professional grade products. Most of them are actually silica sealants that act as a coating for a short duration of time.
If you read the long warranty that you get, you will observe a number of stipulations.
For example, many warranties would require you to come in every six to twelve months and have the coating applied.
We hate to break it to you. But if you have to come in every six to twelve months for a reapplication, then it is likely not a true coating.
Professional Ceramic Coating
You should consider a professional ceramic coating if you want long-lasting results. Professional detailers use the best car coating products and techniques.
Unlike dealerships that may take a considerably short time to coat your car. A professional will take a minimum of twenty four hours to get the job done correctly.
A professional will take an average of seven to ten hours to do a ceramic coating on a new car that is intended to last for two years. This includes the whole process from prep to application.
A professional detailer will clay bar and machine wash your car before application. He will use a high-quality prep chemical to remove any polishing oils or any soap residues.
Do It Yourself (DIY)
Can you ceramic coat your own car? Yes, you can, but a perfect application that will last depends on what product you buy.
You can get a product that lasts up to six years or so. Technically, we do not believe that nano coatings can last that long. We honestly believe in the durability of two years.
DIYs are fun in the automotive community. So many car owners have different experiences polishing or detailing cars.
When you choose to do it yourself, please beware of cheap and ineffective DIY ceramic coating kits. These products are semi-permanent, and you cannot afford to make a mistake.
How do you tell a DIY kit is genuine? Look at the manufacturer’s guarantee to you. For example, Armor Shield offers you 30-day returns, 2-year warranty, and a 100% secure checkout.
The 30-day returns give you sufficient time to determine whether or not the product is ideal for your car.
The 2-year warranty is effective and not overstated. You would be surprised to come across manufacturers who claim that their products have a service life of up to six years or so.
A genuine DIY kit will also come complete with the following: ceramic coating, an application sponge, applicator suede, professional nitrile gloves, and microfiber buffing towel.
Pro vs Entry Level
There are two main types of ceramic coatings on the market: pro and entry-level products.
Pro coatings are thick and often include multiple steps to cure into a hard thick layer. They provide the best durability.
Entry-level coatings that you can buy online are typically a single level application. They are much more forgiving to apply.
But they don’t cure as hard as pro coatings. So, you don’t get that deep gloss finish and durability associated with pro coatings.
An entry-level product provides you with the durability of two years or less. On the other hand, pro coatings are capable of providing the durability of more than two years.
Spray vs Liquid
There are so many misconceptions regarding these three forms in which ceramic coatings are produced. We have used all three in during our evaluations.
The bottom line is that the ceramic spray coating is not better than ceramic liquid or paste coatings. It offers the best results on new or well-maintained car paint.
A ceramic coating spray is the easiest, as well as the fastest to apply. Basically, a spray application cuts the work of nano coating time to fractions.
However, you should not buy ceramic spray coating and expect to get unblemished gloss and shine without prepping the surface properly.
Liquid ceramic coatings dry effectively, but they can be more difficult to use. You need to have enough experience with liquid application in order to get the best results.
You can use an orbital machine polisher or a foam applicator pad to apply ceramic liquid coatings on your car successfully.
Whichever method you use, the liquid product offers a more effective bond compared to spray products. In fact, most professionals would recommend a liquid over spray.
External forces or vibrations can not easily dislodge the new coating. Basically, a liquid application has a longer effective service life compared to a quick spray application.
Choosing between the two types of products for a DIY may come down to your skill set. Choose according to your skill set and experience.
Hardness is a property of the surface of your car by which it resists any scratching by a sharp point or abrasion when then the coating is rubbed against another surface.
The hardness of a special ceramic coating depends upon the resistance, which the test surface provides to indentation.
The pencil hardness test is the most popular method used by manufacturers to determine the hardness of ceramic coatings.
Other hardness test methods include Mohs scale, Wooddell’s Scale, and Ridgway’s Scale. Relative scratch hardness is used on the Mohs scale, while the others are modifications.
Special hardness pencils are used in scratch tests. The pencils are fitted with a selection of minerals used as standards in the Mohs’ scale.
The hardness number of each mineral is normally indicated on the ends of the pencils. The scale ranges typically from 2H to 10H.
The most effective products that we recommend you buy should have a hardness of 9H to 10H on the pencil hardness scale.
The best 9H ceramic coating uses 9H nano technology that offers unique and long-lasting durability. Even though it is not scratchproof, the service will not be easily scratched.
9H nano technology usually lasts longer between 2 to 3 years. However, some manufacturers claim that their products can last more than 5 years.
Gloss and Slickness
Apart from getting the ultimate protection for your car’s paintwork. The main aesthetic features that you always look for are gloss and slickness.
But the gloss is more than just an aesthetic feature. The hardened glass layer improves your car’s protection against UV and the elements.
The best 9H ceramic coating should offer you a crystal, shiny, 3D gloss/appearance. This simply means the surface appears deep and rich.
A good ceramic nano coating is supposed to generate a shiny or wet finish. The final layer should appear freshly applied at all times.
The whole idea of getting the best car ceramic coating for your car is to protect your car’s paintwork from anything that you could think about.
Top of the line products on the market should be able to provide you with the following protection features.
Prevents UV Damage
UV protection has much to do with the fact that when the clear glass is adhesively bonded, the bond’s face needs to be shielded against UV radiation.
In practice, this is normally achieved by applying a nano coat to the clear coat that is both impervious to UV radiation and decorative.
Most products in the automotive market today are generally sufficient for providing UV protection. We recommend you look for a product that is capable of optimum UV protection.
The application of nano particles on the surface of your car is the most promising approaches to enhance the water repellency properties.
Surface contaminants can easily penetrate into your cars paint with the help of water droplets. But nano-coating creates the hydrophobic effect.
A protected surface introduces a self-cleaning action that ensures the water droplets and any other surface contaminants bounce off the surface.
Ceramic protective coatings made from high refractory materials afford protection of your car’s paintwork from corrosion.
High performing products will protect the surface from chemicals, acid rain, and bird droppings. The surface will shield itself against any chemical reactions.
A good ceramic paint coating should have high chemical resistance, corrosion resistance, high-temperature stability, wear resistance and attractive appearance.
The ability of a nano coat to resist scratching depends mostly on the hardness of the product. The best 9H ceramic coating products usually offer long-lasting scratch resistance.
However, this does not mean that nano coatings are scratch proof. There will come a time when the surface will be vulnerable to scratching.
Those above are the four most important protective features that you should look for. But there are other basic features that you can consider as well.
Facts about Ceramic Coating
You can best appreciate the importance of ceramic coating if you know all the crucial facts there are to know about this amazing product.
How to Apply Ceramic Coating?
Applying the best ceramic coat car paint protection starts with the condition of your car’s paint.
It also depends on whether or not you are applying the coating directly or on top of a paint protection film.
The easiest method of application is applying the coating on top of an expelled paint protection film on your car.
If you choose to apply directly to your car’s paint, then you will want the paint to be perfectly clean. You should do any paint correction beforehand.
Ceramic coatings will not hide scratches or swirls. Instead, they will seal them permanently. So, you must have your paintwork as perfect as possible before applying.
The application process itself is pretty easy. Similar to painting a car, proper protection is required. This includes skin and eye protection as well as an OSHA approved ventilator. Follow this tutorial to know, how to apply ceramic coating (DIY) – Prepare, Apply, Curing, Maintaining etc properly.
How Long Does Ceramic Coating Last?
This is one of the most misunderstood questions we usually get from you. The answer to this question is widely variable.
There is a lot of misinformation about how durable coatings are on the market. In fact, you have a few categories of ceramic coating manufacturers.
You have manufacturers that are very realistic concerning their products, and those that are simply unrealistic.
What you should be concerned about is the effective life of the coating. You can have a product that may technically stay on the surface for 5 years.
However, the reality is that 2 to 3 years after the application is when the coating will start to lose its effectiveness.
Effectiveness, in this case, refers to the following:
- Reduced self-cleaning characteristics
- Water-repelling ability is going to drop
- Diminished scratch resistance, even though coatings aren’t the best at resisting scratching
- Diminished gloss and shine
Once you start to observe the factors above, among others. Then, the effective life of your ceramic coating has dropped significantly.
The best car paint protection coating should have an effective life that ranges from 12 to 36 months.
Some bold manufacturers/brands may claim that their products may last eight years or so in durability.
Technically, the product may last that long, but effective life and durability are going to be much shorter.
Ceramic Coating vs Wax
A ceramic coating is a silicon-based product that provides more permanent protection. Wax is simply a polish that is made from either carnauba or a synthetic material such as silicone
It takes a lot of work to achieve the best ceramic coating. Prepping of the surface may take hours or even days before you can apply the ceramic coat.
But the reward is a high gloss and a harder structural surface than a wax polished surface. This translates to longer and effective service life.
A ceramic coat is usually more scratch resistant compared to a wax varnish. However, ceramic products are not scratch proof.
We understand that some manufacturers have intentionally misled car owners concerning scratch resistance properties of ceramic coatings.
In most cases, you will find a few noticeable scratches on a ceramic coat after a couple of years. But the scratches are not as many as on a wax finish.
The only problem is that the scratches on a ceramic coat cannot be polished as a regular wax finish. They need to be removed, and then reapplication is a must.
This process can be very pricey because it takes a considerable amount of time to prep the surface and reapplies a ceramic coat.
Wax application is the easiest. You can always reapply wax on areas with the highest wear and tear, such as the front of the car or behind the wheel.
You can reapply wax on parts that are affected by mechanical impacts from road quartz crystals.
Ceramic Coating vs Powder Coating
Basically, the ceramic coating is simply a high-solid silica-based paint product that you can apply on your car’s paintwork and other parts such as wheels.
The best ceramic wheel coating helps to enhance the appearance of your wheels and improve the protection of the wheel surface. Nano coating requires thorough surface prepping.
On the other hand, powder coating refers to a product that is applied as dry, free-flowing powder on a surface.
Usually, powder coating is done electrostatically. Then heat is used to cure the coating. The powder can be a thermoset polymer or a thermoplastic.
When you powder something, such as a wheel, it needs to be heated. But ceramic coatings do not need any heating.
The main advantage of using powder coating is having a variety of powders to choose from. You have a composition for each of your intended use.
Ceramic Coating vs Paint Sealant
The primary purpose of a ceramic coating is clear coat protection. The synthetic ingredients protect the clear coat of your car from contaminants and the elements.
The ceramic coating offers a semi-permanent bond that does not damage easily. A lack of maintenance or polishing can only remove it.
On the other hand, paint sealants are made of resin, synthetics and home-made polymers. All these ingredients together develop a strong molecular barrier.
Both ceramic coating and paint sealant are difficult to apply when compared to an ordinary car wax finish application.
Proper surface prepping is necessary for both ceramic and paint sealant application. However, a ceramic coating application is tougher than a paint sealant application.
Silicone-based ceramic products form a very long-lasting bond with your car’s paint that has an effective life of one to two years.
On the other hand, polymer-based paint sealants have a much shorter lifespan. They form a bond that may last about four to six months.
Frequently Asked Questions – Ceramic Coating
Yes, ceramic coatings are safe to use on your car’s paintwork. However, all nano coatings contain some ingredients that may be harmful to your eyes or skin.
Therefore, you need skin and eye protection, as well as an OSHA, approved ventilator.
Your workspace must have a sufficient supply of fresh air to prevent the dangerous or harmful accumulation of dust and fumes.
Powder coating is considered to be non-volatile and non-toxic. All powders used in this process are safe to handle and spray.
Unlike other types of coatings that may be flammable and carcinogenic, powder coating does not cause short-term or long-term hazards.
There are several reasons why you need the best car protective coatings and sealants:
– UV radiation protection
– Water repellent (hydrophobic)
– Weather protection
– Shield against corrosion and oxidation
– High gloss and shine
– Reduced ageing and fading
– Minimal maintenance
Both waxing and ceramic coatings are necessary for protecting the clear coat of your car. However, waxing is more of a temporary solution, while the ceramic coating is a long-lasting one.
Therefore, you can consider ceramic coating to be a superior alternative to waxing or simply an upgrade with longer durability.
Most manufacturers claim that ceramic coatings create either permanent or semi-permanent bonds with the paintwork of your car.
But in practice, the created bond doesn’t last forever. At some point, the coating will start losing its protective properties.
There are a number of things that you can do to get rid of the scratches. But the most obvious solution is to install a new ceramic coat on the entire surface.
For example, if the scratch is on the hood. It is wise to do a new coat for the entire hood. In this case, you will have to properly prep the surface.
You could also use a non-abrasive filler, such as CarPro Essence Plus to get rid of the scratches. The non-abrasive product will not remove any material from the either uncoated or coated surface.
It will fill the scratches, enhance the finish to maximize gloss, and improve the hydrophobic properties of the corrected parts.
There is a misconception concerning the self-cleaning properties of ceramic coatings. The fact is that even a ceramic coated car will need a little maintenance.
One thing that’s for sure is that you don’t have to worry about waxing your car every six months or so. With nano coating, maintenance of your car’s exterior is significantly reduced.
You can use a ceramic shampoo to clean as well as condition your ceramic coated car. The shampoo will remove contaminants and enhance surface hydrophobicity.
Waxes, sealants and ceramic coatings are all formulated to protect the paintwork of your car from UV radiations and the elements. Also, they’re intended to enhance gloss and shine.
Where these three products differ is in their aesthetic appeal and durability. Of the three, only nano coatings are capable of long-lasting durability.
Natural carnauba waxes will give your car unmatched glossiness and shine, but they only last a few months. Sealants tend to be more durable than wax, but not as appealing.
Yes, you can use the ceramic coating on glass, especially your windshield. There are a number of benefits of using nano coating on the glass.
First, this product helps to enhance visibility. The hydrophobic nano particles force rainwater to form particles that easily wipe off the windshield.
The hydrophobic nano coating has remarkable self-cleaning properties, which make cleaning and maintaining glass parts of your incredibly easy.
You can frequently polish as well as maintain the nano coating on your car. To do this, you will need a non-solvent based cleaner and a non-abrasive metal polish.
The advantages of ceramic coatings are certain, but this technology can prove to be your worst nightmare if not properly applied or when the coat is aging.
Nano coatings are brittle and almost impossible to repair perfectly. So, the affected parts (cracks or deep scratches) expose your paintwork to corrosion and oxidation.
Even though coating powders are considered inert, non-toxic and non-volatile, research suggests that overexposure could cause cancer.
Therefore, it is recommended that you wear protective clothing and respirators when handling coating powders.
You can paint over powder coating, but you have to prepare the surface thoroughly. You have to get rid of debris, dirt and grease from the coated surface.
The main obstacle is getting the new paint to bond to the slick powder coat. Therefore, you may have to do a lot of sanding to remove the slickness.
Yes, powder coating is much better. Powder-coated surfaces will not sag or bubble when done correctly.
It will fill surface irregularities better than paint, and it has remarkable toughness and impact and chip resistance.
Parts can be assembled immediately after powder coating without worrying about marring the finish. A powder coat can be lightly sanded and then buffed to a high luster.
Yes, you can paint powder coated aluminum. In fact, aluminum with powder coating looks better than bare painted or anodized aluminum, and it lasts longer, too.
The process of powder coating aluminum isn’t difficult.
You just have to clean the substrate, remove corrosion, abrade the aluminum surface, mask off adjacent surfaces, prime the substrate, and finally spray the top coat.
Yes, you can remove powder coating. The easiest removal method is sandblasting. Consider hiring a professional, if you don’t know how to sandblast.
Another common method for powder coat removal is using a stripper. This is a highly corrosive paint stripper that effectively removes a powder-coated surface.
Powder coating is extremely durable. It is hot-blooded, which means the part that needs coating has to be heated first.
Therefore, coated powders are formulated to withstand high temperatures. In fact, most coated powders cure at temperatures ranging from 350 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Coated powders can withstand higher temperatures than their curing levels. However, most common powders tend to discolor greatly at high temperatures.
You can polish a powder-coated surface to enhance its aesthetic appeal. In fact, polishing can help to get rid of fading and abrasions if done correctly.
Yes, you can do powder coating at the comfort of your home. The most recommended places where you can set up your workstation are the garage or the basement.
You will need acetone, the actual powder you are going to use to coat the part, radiator support, wiping towels or microfiber cloths, an oven, and a powder coating gun.
Color matching is often the most difficult part of powder coating. It is more challenging than with liquid coatings, especially with reprocessed powders.
Generally, you cannot blend batches of powder to achieve satisfactory color matching. You must do it using the appropriate ratio of pigments.
There are four specific levels of gloss finish, which include matte, satin, medium, and high. The high level is the glossy shine.
When you apply powder coating correctly, you get a stronger protective layer that can effectively prevent rock chips.
Ceramic coating will not completely prevent rust or corrosion, but it will significantly delay its onset. A ceramic coat will prevent rust as long as it has its effective durability.
Yes, ceramic coating works on vinyl wraps, but not all of them. The most popular formula is Vvivid Fuse 9H High Ceramics Hydrophobic Coating.
This unique product works on wraps and gloss/textured/matte films. This product makes cleaning your wrapped car easy.
A powder coating with a thickness of sixty to eighty micrometer can prevent galvanic corrosion attacks. Increased thickness reduces defects in the coating.
There’re several variables to what goes into the cost of a ceramic coating, and they include:
– The size of your vehicle – Is it large or small?
– Condition of your car – The number of swirl marks and random isolated deeper scratches
– Amount of paint correction that is going to be needed before coating
– Type of ceramic coating you are buying
The minimum amount of money that you should pay for a professional two-year ceramic coating application should be anywhere from $400 to $1,200.
For a five-year or a seven-year coating that has a factory back warranty, you could pay anywhere from $900 to $2,000, depending on the brand and other factors.
It is worth every dollar for cars. If you do it yourself, you get to save a lot of money and enhance the appearance and protective properties of your car.
It is also worth to explore a professional installation if you happen to have a show or high-end car that needs expert detailing.
A new ceramic coating takes roughly two to three weeks to cure completely. To ensure that the coating achieves its full potential, you have to avoid abrading or washing the car.
Sometimes when you are applying a ceramic coat on your car, you may fail to remove the product completely, creating high spots.
The easiest way to get rid of high spots is to apply a high performing compound on the high spot and wipe it off. Then polish the affected area for a shiny gloss.
The choice of the best car ceramic coating is huge in today’s automotive market. We had a hard time finding the ideal product for you.
We had to take into consideration a number of important factors, including protection features, gloss and hardness, among others.
Before you even consider buying a ceramic coating. You have to decide whether you want to do it yourself or hire a professional installer.
If you choose to do it yourself, you have to go for a product that will offer you the best protection, aesthetic appeal and durability.
You should also consider surface prepping. Surface preparation will most certainly determine your end result. Poor prepping may mess up the entire process.
Last update on 2019-10-18 at 14:26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API