Sometimes you want to feel a fresh breeze on your face while you’re off-roading and other times you want the added security and protection of being covered.
The awesome part about Jeep hardtops is that they can be removed and reinstalled whenever you like.
Though they are not massively heavy, Jeep hardtops are bulky, unbalanced and hard to remove and reinstall without some help.
The easiest way to remove and reinstall a Jeep hardtop is with a hoist.
We have reviewed several of the best Jeep hardtop hoist options, assembled a set of considerations to keep in mind and provided you with the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about Jeep hardtop hoists to help you make a qualified choice.
What is a Jeep hardtop hoist and its benefits?
A Jeep hardtop hoist is a pulley system used to help lift a Jeep hardtop from your vehicle whenever you want to remove it or provide the necessary assistance to help you lower it back into place when you want to reinstall it.
Several benefits come with the use of a Jeep hardtop hoist, like:
- Making it easier for a single person to lift the hardtop.
- Keeping the hardtop level when you are lowering it into place.
- Allowing you to store your hardtop in the top of your garage.
These benefits help to insure that your hardtop won’t become damaged during removal and installation.
However, a hardtop hoist is also a versatile tool, which allows you to lift and store other heavy items like canoes, camper shells, sports equipment carriers, etc. as well.
Top 4 Jeep Hardtop Hoist Reviews
Harken Hardtop Hoister Systems
Harken is one of the most popular manufacturers of affordable hoister systems.
Their 4-point hoister system is easy to install in your garage and allows you to lift and store just about anything you want to, including Jeep hardtops.
All three of these Harken systems have the same type of features and benefits, but each is best suited for different applications.
Each utilizes a 4 point system which allows you to lift all four corners of your Jeep hardtop from a single incorporated point.
The lifting mechanism is equipped with a braking system, which allows you to raise and lower items without fear of them dropping suddenly.
In addition to lifting, these systems are designed for storing your hardtop in your garage as well.
The four lifting points are attached to the ceiling of your garage with a pulley system and utilize nylon cable for lifting.
Nylon straps, with adjustable, easy-clip connections allow you to quickly secure the system under your hardtop so that you can safely lift the unit without causing damage.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the features and benefits of each of the three systems in this group.
HARKEN 7803B 4 Point Hoister System
This is the mid-range hoister system in this group and the most popular. It is an affordable option for those who need a lift specifically designed for lifting a Jeep hardtop.
• Rated for weights up to 145 lbs.
• 10 feet lifting height capacity.
• Can be configured for 1, 2 or 4 point lifting.
• Provides a 6:1 mechanical advantage.
This hoister system is best designed for hardtops up to 145 lbs., which might exclude some of the heavier 4 door models or hardtops with rooftop tent systems.
Harken Hoister 200lb 12ft
Those who need to support a little bit more weight will want to keep this model in mind.
The mechanical advantage of the pulley system on this unit allow you to lift a heavier hardtop with the same amount of effort as a lighter one.
• Rated for weights up to 200 lbs.
• 12 feet lifting height capacity.
• Can be configured for 4 point lifting only.
• Provides a 8:1 mechanical advantage.
This hoister model will better serve users with a 4-door hardtop or a hardtop with the additional weight of a rooftop tent system.
Be sure to get an accurate weight of a combined hardtop and tent system before assuming that this system will handle the job.
Harken 60-Pound 4-Pt. Lift System
If you need something to lift the doors or a lighter canvas top, then this unit can help you with lifting and storing those items.
• Rated for weights up to 60 lbs.
• 10 feet lifting height capacity.
• Can be configured for 4 point lifting only.
• Provides a 3:1 mechanical advantage.
This system is really not designed for lifting Jeep hardtops, since the majority of Jeep hardtops weigh at least 80 pounds.
Lighter weight roofs or other items like doors and panels can be lifted and stored as long as their combined weight is less than 60 lbs.
HARKEN Jeep Hardtop Storage Hoist Jeep Lift
Based on the same principle as the four-point hoister systems we just reviewed, this Harken Hardtop Storage Hoist Jeep Lift is another budget friendly option to keep in mind.
It comes with some additional features to make removing and reinstalling your Jeep’s hardtop a snap.
- COMPATIBLE WITH ANY VEHICLE HARDTOP: Designed to safely and easily store your heavy vehicle hardtop while organizing your garage. Commonly used with all Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Gladiator and Ford Bronco models, but compatible with all vehicle hardtops.
- SAFEST HOIST DESIGN WITH ANTI-DROP SYSTEM: Self-locking cleat grips instantly to prevent accidental release if the rope is dropped. Patented system lifts the load evenly regardless of weight distribution, allowing the load to be stored against the garage ceiling for maximum clearance underneath.
- EASY ONE-PERSON OPERATION: Simply park underneath the installed hoist, secure the load, and lift. One person can have their hardtop on or off in minutes. Pulley system creates a mechanical advantage where 15-25 pounds of force is all it takes to lift the load to the ceiling.
- BONUS THUMB SCREWS FOR EASY JEEP HARDTOP REMOVAL: No tools needed using quick removal thumb screws/tee knobs (set of 6). Jeep hard top bolts fit all Wrangler models 2007 and later. Thumb screws are made of durable nylon head with 1 inch long steel stud. Washer is galvanized steel with rubber bonded backing.
- QUALITY MANUFACTURING WITH 5-YEAR WARRANTY: High quality stainless steel hardware and double braided rope provide durability. Ball bearing pulleys keep the system running smoothly. 60 years of innovation. Made in USA.
This model utilizes a four point hoist and pulley system, which is easily installed in the same way as the other Harken models.
The pulley system allows a significant lift advantage to allow one person to raise and lower a Jeep hardtop without additional assistance.
It utilizes a safe lifting pulley system with a brake to prevent loss of control while lifting and lowering heavy objects.
This system is designed as a garage storage system as well.
Two woven nylon straps with adjustable, quick-snaps allow for quick and easy diagonal attachment underneath the hardtop of your Jeep.
An added feature of this unit are the six included thumb screws, which can be used to replace the factory screws, making removing your hardtop even faster and easier.
• Rated for weights up to 145 lbs.
• 10 feet lifting height capacity.
• Fits all Jeep Wrangler hardtops.
• Provides a 6:1 mechanical advantage.
• Includes a 5-year warranty.
Those who need a lift, which is easy to install and will support a hardtop up to 145 lbs. will appreciate the user-friendly features, moderate pricing and convenience features a plus.
For users with a hardtop over 145 lbs., this system is not quite up to the task.
Smittybilt 510001 Hard Top Hoist for Jeep CJ/YJ/TJ/JK
Lifting your hardtop is nearly effortless thanks to the Smittybilt 510001 Hard Top Hoist.
This model will cost a bit more than the Harken models we just reviewed, but it accommodates a higher weight capacity and comes with an electric winch for lifting.
Designed for CJ, YJ, TJ and JK Jeep hardtops, this system utilizes an electric winching system, which lifts at a single point in the center of the lifting frame. It uses a 200 Amp 1/3 HP AC motor for lifting up to 440 lbs.
The lifting frame is constructed of heavy-duty, powder-coated steel tubing.
It has a strong center backbone, multiple rubbers stops and cushioned rollers to prevent scratching and denting of your hardtop.
Accessories can be attached to a variety of different attachment points along the lifting frame.
The lifting frame attaches to the hardtop at three points and allows for lifting and storage with the back window closed.
Three legs with easy-roll castors allows for storage and easy maneuvering of your hardtop once it is off of your Jeep.
• Frame is rated for weights up to 1000 lbs.
• Electric winch motor will lift up to 440 lbs.
• Fits all CJ, YJ, TJ and JK model hardtops.
• Hardtop is stored on heavy-duty steel rack with easy-roll casters.
Those who do not have the space or do not want to store their hardtop in the ceiling of their garage might prefer this style of hoist and storage frame.
This is a moderately priced offering with adequate power to safely lift all Jeep hardtops and accessories and is easy to install and use.
014-210 formerly 014-601 Lange Originals Power Hoist a Top Hard Top
Similar in design to the Smittybilt Hoist, but with a few unique features is the Lange Originals Power Hoist System.
This system also allows for the attachment of accessories to its frame, but is designed only for JK models since 2007.
- Removes & Stores your Hardtop and Freedom Panels on the all steel frame.
- Ease of use with our Double Line Electric Power Hoist
- The rear Smart Hook allows you to lift and store your hardtop with the rear window closed.
- One person operation makes removing your Hardtop a breeze
- Compatible with Jeep Wrangler JK & JKU (2door & 4Door) models 2007-2018
The winch on this system is also electric for easy lifting. Its cable attaches to a single lifting point on the lifting frame, but there are a number of options available to find the perfect balancing point for your specific model.
This lift comes with braking and safety locks to prevent accidental dropping.
The heavy-duty, powder-coated steel frame on this model is designed to support the weight of your hardtop and all of its accessories as well.
Large durable, foam panels separate the lifting frame from the hardtop in order to prevent scratching and other damage, while also serving as a mounting frame for accessories.
You can lift your hardtop with the rear window closed using this model as well and it is designed to store your hardtop near the ceiling of your garage or carport until you are ready to reinstall it on your Jeep.
• Designed for Jeep JK model hardtops.
• Works with ceiling heights from 7 ft to 25 ft.
• Allows for lifting and storage with the rear window closed.
• Electric powered winch with a variety of lifting points on heavy-duty steel frame.
If you are okay with storing your hardtop in the top of your garage and want the ease and convenience of an electric powered winch, then this is an option worth considering.
What might be a concern for some is storing such a heavy object on a single lifting point and its price point.
TopLift Pros Jeep Hardtop Remove and Storage Device
Those who don’t want to be bothered with installing a lift system in the ceiling of their garage or car port might be more inclined toward the TopLift Pros Jeep Hardtop Remove and Storage Device.
When it comes to simplicity, this is a pretty straightforward option, but watch out for the price.
- 1. The TopLift Pros was invented to solve the struggle of removing your hardtop to conveniently rolled in under the cargo area of your JEEP/Bronco then Lift and Store your vehicle hard top, works with both 2 Door and 4 Door, including 4XE. Fully adjustable for lifted suspension and wheel combinations. Can be used with certain Roof Racks. PLEASE CONTACT IF YOU HAVE 71 INCH OR HIGHER CLEARANCE IN REAR CARGO ON LIFTED JEEP.
- 2. No limited space in your garage. Low ceiling garage, no problem. We accommodate all, including public storage...
- 3. SECURE AND VERY RELIABLE. NO CRANKING. PATENTED DESIGN securing your hard top safely. Will NOT impede upon your top cosmetically, for it is completely internal and lifts the top up to where it rest comfortably without any stress on the top itself.
- 4. No Installation Cost incurred and You don’t have to permanently mount it to your hardtop to use it.
- 5. Enjoy your Jeep to its fullest, whether taking your hardtop off each week or every day, we make it easy for you. Also completely mobile to take with you on vacation...
Versatility is the key feature of this lift, which can be used just about anywhere, does not need to be installed on the ceiling of your garage, and will fit a wide variety of 2 and 4 door hardtop JK or JL models.
This unit is built on heavy-duty, powder-coated steel tubing, which is strong enough to support the weight of any Jeep hardtop and its accessories.
It is fitted with four, large diameter casters for smooth rolling.
The lifting frame on this unit is adjustable to fit various models and has cushioned support wheels to prevent damage to your hardtop.
It utilizes multiple-joint leverage for easy lifting. The lift serves as a storage stand for your hardtop, which you can store anywhere you like, and with the rear window closed.
This lift can also be adjusted vertically to accommodate lift systems that have been installed on your Jeep as well.
• No ceiling installation is required.
• Heavy-duty steel frame is fully adjustable to various 2 and 4-door hardtop JK and JL models.
• Used for lifting and storage where garage ceiling capacities are too low for hoists.
• Large diameter casters make for easy rolling.
Users who have vertical space limitations in their garage, or who don’t want to have to install a hoisting system will be pleased by the convenience of this lifting system.
Some drawbacks are a decreased mechanical lifting advantage of this lift system compared to the others, and the fact that this lift is pretty pricey.
Jeep Hardtop Hoist Buying Guide
Purchasing a hardtop hoist may not require a major investment, but purchasing the wrong one and causing damage to your Jeep, yourself or your family can be very costly.
There are several considerations to keep in mind before purchasing a Jeep hardtop hoist.
Here are four of those most important considerations.
Your Available Space
When it comes to available space, you will need to think in three dimensions.
Not only will you need to consider whether there is enough space in your garage to install the hoist so that it will function properly, but you will need to consider storage space as well.
Most hardtop hoists require a minimum ceiling height of 10 feet for installation and proper function.
There are some, which allow for a minimum ceiling height of 7 feet, but they do not come with some of the features you might want.
For garages with a ceiling height of 7 feet or less, the best option might be a portable hoist unit.
Space for storing your hardtop while it’s not on your Jeep might present some limitations as well.
Ceiling storage systems are popular because they do not take up floor space in your garage, but if vertical space is limited, you will need to consider other types of storage racks and portable floor units.
How are you with tools and assembly?
You will want to be able to answer this question with a good degree of confidence or know someone who can take care of installing your hoist system for you.
Most hoist systems are not overly complicated to install, but some people might not have the skills or access to the tools to accomplish the task.
Other users do not want to be bothered with installing a hoist system in their garage.
If you fall into one of these latter categories, then a portable floor hoist model might be your best option.
When it comes to lifting the hardtop from your Jeep, there are three options: manual, manual-mechanical and powered-mechanical.
If you have the available muscle (yourself and another person or two) and are willing to use it to remove your Jeep’s hardtop, then you probably have little interest in a hoist.
However, those who require mechanical help should consider the remaining options.
Manual Mechanical Hoists
This option utilizes a system of pulleys and ropes or levers to provide you with a mechanical advantage over the weight that you are lifting.
Mechanical advantage is measured in a ratio of how much weight the system will lift compared to how much weight you have to lift in order to operate the system.
If you lift a 100 pound Jeep hardtop using a 6:1 mechanical advantage, you will have to put forth enough effort to lift 100/6 or about 17 lbs.
If you can handle weight in the 15 to 25 lbs. range, then a manual mechanical system will work fine and save you some money on your hoist.
These hoists make use of an electric winch to do all of the lifting for you.
Models featuring an electric winch work best for those who are either unable or unwilling to put forth the amount of effort that a pulley or lever system requires.
With electric powered winches, you will need to look at the weight capacity of the motor and the ease of operating the motor, which is typically a cable attached to the winch with a remote control box.
Keep in mind that if a motor cannot handle the weight of your hardtop and the accessories you might add to it, it will burn up and you will have to replace it.
A Note of Caution
With mechanical hoists, there is always the chance that the hardtop could fall, which could cause damage to your Jeep, or injury to yourself or some other person.
Be sure that the mechanical hoist you select has necessary stops, locks and safety equipment to prevent this sort of issue.
Compatibility with Your Jeep
None of the above features or considerations will have any value if you purchase a product that is not compatible with your Jeep.
Though they are not often major differences, the variations in model designs can make a difference when it comes to the safe and proper function of your hardtop hoist.
Consequently, be sure to match up the hoist you choose with the proper model and model year of your Jeep in order to get the best results from your hoist system.
By Keeping these considerations in mind, you should be able to make a qualified decision when it comes to the purchase of the right Jeep hardtop hoist to fit your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions FAQs
Lifting a hardtop without doing any damage to it is an important aspect in maintaining the function and value of this particular component.
Those who are a bit unfamiliar with the various aspects of Jeep hardtop hoists tend to have a lot of questions.
For your benefit, we have anticipated the most common of these questions and provided answers to them.
Can you add a winch to your hoist system?
My garage ceiling is angled will it still work?
Will the hoist work with a 2-door JK with freedom panels?
Will the hoist work for a rooftop tent?
How close to the ceiling can it go?
Do I have to use wooden boards?
What is the weight capacity?
Can one person operate the hoist to remove a hardtop?
What’s the minimum height that the ceiling can be to use the hoist?
Will the hoist work for a 4-door Jeep?
Does the hardtop hoist have a motor?
Will the hoist work with a 3-piece hardtop?
How long is the cable on the hoist?
Can you mount pulleys directly to ceiling?
Can you close the rear window after lifting?
Getting the most out of your Jeep includes the option of being able to go off-roading with or without your hardtop attached.
Removing a hardtop without assistance can be pretty difficult and reinstalling it on your Jeep next to impossible.
The best Jeep hardtop hoist systems make a significant difference when it comes to lifting, storing and reinstalling your hardtop and are the only way to do it by yourself.
Our reviews, buying guide, and frequently asked questions have provided you with enough information to choose the hardtop hoist system that will best suit your needs.
Last update on 2023-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API